Nowadays, earthquake-resistant design of buildings and other constructions is gaining worldwide attention:
- Increasing awareness of enormous damaging potential of earthquakes.
- Globalized working environment, where any professional can be involved with constructions in seismic regions.
- Newly developed design and analysis tools, such as PBD (Performance-Based Design), Pushover Analysis and IDA (Incremental Dynamic Analysis), among others. These approaches are becoming more complex, as computer codes do.
- Recently-proposed innovative construction and protection technologies, such as Base Isolation and Energy Dissipators, among others.
This Program provides attendants with knowledge to perform any intervention (design, planning, analysis, construction, retrofit, strengthening, repair, modification, promotion, etc.) on buildings and bridges located in seismic areas. Formulations included in regulations are described, and application examples are developed using most spread software codes.
This activity is taught by the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). UPC is a prestigious technology-oriented teaching and research institution, ranked 35th (QS World University Ranking) in Civil and Structural Engineering. This activity is taught online, in an e-learning environment; activity is tailored to individual necessities and learning path is adjusted to time availability of each student. Attendants are able to interact each other, possibly interchanging their professional experiences. Described technologies and concepts stem from professional, lecturing and research activities of instructors.
Spanish and English versions of this activity are offered.
Each attendant will develop a Final Thesis.
The main objective of this Program is to familiarize the attendants with up-to-date knowledge on seismic design, analysis and retrofit of buildings and bridges. At the end of the Program, the attendants should be able to:
- Carry out any intervention (design, analysis, construction, retrofit, etc.) on buildings and bridges situated in seismic regions.
- Understand and apply correctly current major regulations and guidelines of America, Europe and other regions.
- Use the most common software packages for efficient seismic analysis and design of buildings and bridges.
- Promoting, managing and leading national and international projects dealing with seismic issues.
- Developing new multi-purpose design, analysis and construction approaches and solutions.
Who is it for
This Program is oriented to professionals (structural engineers, structural consultants and designers, construction managers, urban planners, architects, among others) involved with buildings and bridges located in seismic-prone regions.
This activity will entitle you to lead and coordinate large international groups of engineers and other professionals involved in promotion, design, retrofit or other interventions on singular constructions (tall buildings, long-span bridges and viaducts, subway and railway stations, large tanks, among others) with relevant seismic issues.